Family Garden Day at 1270 Eaton Rd this coming SATURDAY, April 21st – from 1 PM to 3:30 PM. If you have wheelbarros, gloves, extra flower bulbs and drought resistant ground cover starts – please bring them.
Take home garden starts, seeds, compost, red worms and wood chips.
We received two small gardening grants. Come check out the new greenhouse we made with supplies provided by the grants.
For more information call our office at 891-5363.
We put the plastic on the greenhouse. My friend Tara took a short video of the process.
Like so many other social service organizations serving low income and special needs populations funding for our facilities maintenance has been slashed.
PROJECT 1: est. cost: $875.00
Chico Community Children’s Center (CCCC) is seeking a financial sponsor for replacing the broken door on a storage shed at 22nd andElm Street,Chico. This shed is used by our Pre School Program to store toys, physical activities equipment, and learning aids.
We plan to remove this roll up door and replace it with a framed in a 36’wide exterior door and replace or upgrade the short ramp.
Cost estimate for the project is $875.00.
The storage unit is a sturdy truck box but the plywood door panel sections have rotted out, collapsing the door. The door is currently un-usable and unfixable and a safety hazard for both teachers and students. The rest of the storage unit is in good shape.
PROJECT 2: Estimated Cost: $2000.00
We would like to replace this with a truck box or storage unit with a normal size and lockable door.
This shed, also in the Pre School Yard, needs to be replaced. The roof is rusted and bent and leaks. The doors are not securable. The sides are also bent in.
We just skinned the greenhouse at the day care center this morning. It is based on the styles found from Johnney’s Select Seed. Check out more pictures on our facebook page.
Temperatures climbed quickly inside, even on this overcast day. The kids said it “smells good in here.”
My friend Joan is into Feng Shui. I had her come up and give some suggestions on what could be done at the Elm Street Center to improve “energy flow”. What I got was more than I intended. Here is her list.
- Get ride of old wagon in center of parking lot.
- Get rid of old bike and debris next to the tool shed.
- Plant some bright flowers under the tree by mural tool shed.
- Hang lanterns from the tree in Toddler Yard.
- Clean out the plants under the tree.
- Cover the dirt next to the PSP building with flagstones.
- Wrap up the hose by the PSP building.
- Move the rack from in front of the building in Toddler Yard.
- Hang lanterns or “hand” flags from the gutters.
- Pull weeds in front of the fence.
- Get rid of the pan with rocks. (she donated a birdbath)
- Get rid of the grapevines and replace with something evergreen.
- Get rid of the garbage bins by the entrance (or hide them)
- Pull weeds at the side, cover dirt, get rid of the rose bush by Office get pots of the same color and plant something that will spill over the edges.
- New artistic signs for Office, Infants, After School Program etc.
- Hang flags from the trees
- Plant succulents where you don’t want weeds; place flagstones.
- Paint winding path in playground.
- Paint mural on back fence
- Rake up leaves.
- Wash the awnings over the sandbox area.
- Bright colored flowers
- Red Lanterns
- Hose Rack
- Muslin & Fabric
- Evergreen vines
- Same colored pots (color of building trim)
- Ground Cover plants
- Plants that will achieve height for underneath the windows
- small cups for seedlings (kids can plant their own in the ground.)
Thank you for your interest. For your convenience you can download an application in pdf here. You can print it, fill it out, and fax it to FAX:(530) 891-3478. Or drop it by or mail it to: Chico Community Children’s Center, 2224 Elm Street, Chico, CA 95928
CCCC Job Application
Chico Community Childrens Center won 2 – $1,000 grants for their kids gardens. If you have school gardens check out this site.
Many of us in the teaching field, and the kids we work with, have always felt that being in the garden can lift our mood. Is it the sunshine and outdoors? Find out more from CSGN
California School Garden Network.
We are planning a Family Fun Garden Day for the Spring to celebrate and install high tunnels or hoop houses, explore composting options, and do general makeovers for our kids gardens at both the Elm and Eaton Rd Centers.
To make connections with our Alumni and employees of CCCC over the 3 decades plus of operation – we have set up a Facebook page. You can join by going to:http://tinyurl.com/ybgkubh
We are done with our fundraiser with the Annie B’s this year. Big THANK YOU! to the folks that donated. You make a difference.
We are happy to announce: There will be a Nutrition and Physical Activity Health Fair
Where: Chico Community Children’s Center
2224 Elms Street, Chico
When: Thursday, October. 13th from 2:30 to 6:30
Free Fun Activities, Info & Giveaways!
Sponsored by: First Five California We are happy to host the First Five California’s Nutrition and Physical Activity Health Fair this month. Please come.
Chico Community Children’s Center, 2224 Elm St, Chico, CA 95928.